Monday, May 09, 2005

 

On Reading & "Reading Up"

I've spent a little time considering what "reading up" means to me, as EC had encouraged in a blog entry way back in December 2004. The concept isn't exactly new; after all, my lifelong career as a reader has had both amateur, or hobbyist, and professional sides to it, and the examination of theories of reading was part of my training as a professional reader, aka grad student in comparative literature.


My reading life has almost always had this schism, a rift separating reading material that is "good for you" from reading material that is "not as good for you." The genre fiction I enjoy has typically fallen into the latter category, with notable exceptions as certain authors have managed to cross over into the canon of what is traditionally labeled acceptable, high-quality literature, at least by academics. Orwell and Le Guin come to mind, for instance.


That said, having reached the decision that I will not be writing the dissertation, over the last several months I have found myself balking at the idea of reading anything that might attempt to fit into that "good for you" category. This reticence, combined with the suspicion that any book that makes a bestseller list or a tv show's book club has got to questionable in quality simply because of its popularity, has meant that I've stubbornly persisted in reading cheap paperback after cheap paperback. (At $7 and $8 a pop, can they really be called "cheap" paperbacks anymore?) Until I finally started to crave something a little -- well, deeper, more meaningful, more aesthetically interesting, more challenging to read.


So I went on a shopping spree, bearing in mind EC's advice about "reading up" and my own inclination to find something a little more intense to read than what I've been pulling off the bookshelf recently. And I have to say that I have really enjoyed the books I picked up, as well as some others that had been loaned to me.


(By the way, The Turkish Gambit, the third (E)/second (R) book in the series, has also been made into a film that looks like a lot of fun.)

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com