Monday, February 28, 2005

 

Bippity-boppity-boo

Writing

At the beginning of February, I blithely stated a list of goals:
"In February, I will
1) submit "The Middle of Life" to another slush pile;
2) complete the modern pop-fantasy story I’ve been working on piecemeal, find a venue where it might best fit & send it there;
3) find a venue for "Storyweaver" & send it there;
4) draft an outline for the fairy-tale based story in order to get the details out of my head and on paper;
5) and, while I’m cleaning closets in my mind, draft an outline for an as yet untitled project;
6) resume work on an RPG project, with the goal of completing my portion by the end of the month."

At the end of month, and with a certain amount of embarassment, I state that this is what I actually accomplished:
1) Submitted MoL to another slush pile (2.21.05)
2) Submitted Sw to another slush pile (2.21.05)
3) Started what really cannot be called an outline for the as yet untitled project

Ispravljus'! Ispravljus'! Obeshchaju, ispravljus'! OK, well... enough with the wailing and gnashing of teeth.

The list continues for March, then... This month I will:
1) Complete the modern pop-fantasy story, tentatively titled "Post-Millenial Fairy Godmothers, Inc." Send draft to critique buddies.
2) Draft an outline of the aforementioned fairy-tale based story; begin rough draft of story & send to critique buddies.
3) Draft an outline of the aforementioned as yet untitled project; begin rough draft & send to critique buddies.
4) Resume work on RPG project: This is short and interesting, and I may even be able to do most of the crunchy stuff myself, so I just need to write it. Mwahahahahaha...

Committing to finishing my to-do list for February is going to have to be enough for now. Should I find myself running low on things to do mid-month, I'll supplement the to-do list at that time.

Job Search

It also occurs to me that I might do myself a favor to keep track of progress in the job search, too. Researching jobs (in international programs/study abroad offices, primarily) and writing cover letters takes up a certain amount of my time, after all. There haven't been a lot of jobs posted that, as a newbie to the field, I'm qualified for, but I'm hoping the trend changes as the director positions that have been posted are filled and more positions that require less direct experience working in the field open up (presumably as the people who held those jobs move up the ladder). I'm also investigating another possible career path, thanks to a nudge of encouragement from one of the faculty members I work with now. I'm a little curious to see how that develops.

Since December, I have applied for these jobs:
Indiana Univ. Continuing Studies AcAd
Marist College IP
UNLV IP (result: ding)
Plymouth State IP (result: ding)
Purdue Univ. IP
NC State Univ. IP
Albany IP
New School Univ. IP
Indiana Univ. Kelley School of Business AcAd (result: ding)
Hanover IP
Hartwick IP

This week I need to submit application materials to these jobs:
UNLV-USAC IP
Oregon IP
Pace Univ. SA
Georgia SA
Purdue Univ. IP
Wisconsin-Madison IP/SA
CEA SA

Goal: This month I will continue researching jobs in an effort to apply for three positions per week. (That's below the average recommended in career counselor circles, but I'm looking for a position in a field that's a bit more specialized than accounting, finance, or other business-focused jobs that are so easily found on boards like Monster.com, so it seems like a good average to strive for, based on the trends I'm seeing in the job ads.)

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com