Friday, August 13, 2004

 

Word of the Day: Paraskevidekatriaphobia

I'm still waiting to hear about the job I interviewed for on Tuesday, and I'm growing less hopeful by the hour. I have a sneaking suspicion that the phrase "You made a great case for your transferable skills, but..." is lurking in my not-so-distant future. It's become quite the tired and worn phrase, I think. Sooner or later, the "great case" will be heard by a search committee who will actually decide to make use of those transferable skills by employing me.

I feel like the Eberron proposal is in a good place, especially for having "lost" a weekend from being on the road. Granted, it's not finished, as I'd prefer it to be, but I am confident that I can get things closer to finished over the weekend and still meet my volunteer commitments. This is good. :-)

As I've been putting more effort into this, it's come to my attention that I'm kind of attached to my characters and the ideas and story elements. "There can be only one" becomes a hard, hard truth to face.

Tomorrow is the last day for a prediction Ed made to come true. If it turns out he really does have precognitive powers, I'll let you know.

*****

On a different note.... I got medical insurance again when I took the job here. Oh, what you can learn from an actual, honest-to-goodness physical. But that's beside the point. I can afford to go to the dermatologist again to seek treatment for psoriasis. The topical treatments are working to an extent, but my condition is definitely not in remission and the last week or so I've found myself wanting to just cry because my skin hurt so. This has me thinking more about other alternatives for treatment. My doctor has said that he will leave it up to me to decide, as far as what I can live with for both the condition and the treatment. However, the next more aggressive treatment, he said, is a drug you take orally that can stay in your body for two or more years, and it's something that they don't like to give young women: if you get pregnant, the drug in your system will harm the fetus - no ifs, ands, or buts about it.

I resent being asked by my property management company to renew the lease on my apartment six months before the lease ends. You can imagine how much more I resent a drug that demands that I know my plans for sex and reproduction for at least the next 3-4 years, allowing time for the meds to build up in my system, send the psoriasis into remission, and then work out of my system. No, having a child isn't even remotely in the offing right now, but in two or three years.... I don't know. I don't think anything in my life has prepared me to make a decision like this. The more I hurt, the less progress I see with the topicals, the more appealing this option sounds, and damn the consequences.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com