Friday, August 20, 2004

 

The Slow Wit of the Sleep-deprived

Let's see... What's been going on? Hm. Well, I didn't get the job that I interviewed for last week. The "good news" side of that less-than-good news is that I'm setting up a short meeting with one of the people on the search committee to get some feedback from her - not about that particular interview as much as about what I can specifically do to make myself a better candidate for this type of job. Since I'm making certain decisions about what I'm doing over the next couple of years based on the assumption that I'm going to be able to get this particular kind of job sooner or later, it would be most helpful to get some suggestions for how to be more competitive so that things come together sooner rather than later. I'm tired of being among the highly qualified applicants and of hearing that despite the excellent case I've made for my transferable skills someone else with actual experience. Take advantage of those transferable skills and hire me already!!!

Oh, I mentioned the possibility that Ed is a clairvoyant. Well, if the results of his prediction for Saturday, August 14th are any measure of that ability, he's most definitely not. Still, the results of his prediction for the week ending Saturday, August 21st are pending.

My older younger brother K (not to be confused with my baby brother C) has been working on his Eberron proposal over the last week and a half. We briefly compared notes last night, just to be sure that our sibling ESP hadn't kicked in so that we'd separately be sending in more or less the same proposals. (There's really something to this sibling ESP, or at least that's the joke in our family. More often than not, if K, for instance, calls C or Mom or Dad, then within minutes of the start of that phone conversation, I will call C, or C or I will call Mom or Dad. Often, by the end of the initial conversation, all of us will have checked in at some point, thanks to call waiting.) I'm happy to report that there's been no inadvertent idea leakage. In fact, K's work is such an interestingly different take on the war-torn atmosphere which permeates Khorvaire that I'm feeling self-conscious about that aspect of my own proposal. I don't know what else to say except that I'm adding my brother to the list of folks I'd be really pleased to see selected as the winner of this open call.

GenCon is the big event this weekend. Ed posted about that in his blog (see Your Mother's Love...), so there's not much I can add. I tend to be more of a nocturnal creature when I don't have to be at work at 8AM, so I'm not all that keen on being up and ready to travel by oh-dark-thirty Saturday morning, but what a small sacrifice for something that promises to be fun!

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com