Wednesday, June 30, 2004

 

Stupid People

Got a physics lesson this morning - the one about two objects occupying the same space at the same time. As I was pulling into the parking lot, a guy was pulling out of the lot. This particular entrance into the lot is an alleyway, only large enough to fit one car, and it's a blind alley, so that neither driver can really see whether another driver's in the way until you're right on the entrance. I stopped as soon as I saw him - and, fortunately, the car behind me stopped - but the guy coming out of the lot kept coming and tried to make the left turn into the one-way street I was turning off of.

He hit my car. And drove away.

Fortunately, the damage to my car is infinitesimally minimal, and I'm OK. But he drove away. I went ahead and pulled into the lot after watching him drive thirty feet up the street and turn into a strip mall's parking lot. And I waited at the car thinking he might have been flustered and trying to figure out how to get back to the lot. But he never showed up.

I got the numbers on the plates and the colors, but I didn't catch the make and model of the car. The local police have all the info, and they've run the plates with no real luck. The more the officer questioned me, the less certain I became about what I know - except I'm so sure about the numbers and the colors on the plates, the older man as a driver, and the color (at least) of the car.

I don't know how people can testify in court about what they've seen. And I guess that I'm less observant than I think I am. Not to mention too accustomed to the idea that most of the people around me follow the same sort of legal, ethical, and/or moral ideals that I have. You don't just drive away when your car crunches someone else's car. And getting the plates is supposed to *helpful*.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com